Opening Day fun facts
SAN FRANCISCO — Happy Opening Day! Let’s hope the rain stays away. A few Opening Day- and Giants-related notes, courtesy of the team’s media relations staff:
– The Giants have lost each of their last three openers, but have taken 15 of their last 24 and 31 of 51 since moving West in 1958;
– At 24 years and 296 days old, Tim Lincecum is the Giants’ third-youngest Opening Day starter, behind Juan Marichal (24 years, 172 days in 1962) and Mark Davis (23 years, 165 days in 1984) (courtesy of Bill Arnold/Sports Features Group). Lincecum is also the first Giants amateur draft selection to start an opener for the club since Terry Mulholland (1984 first-rounder) in 1995;
– Rich Aurilia, Brandon Medders, Andres Torres and Juan Uribe comprise the first foursome of non-roster Spring Training invitees to make the club since 1992 (Craig Colbert, Jim McNamara, Jeff Reed and Cory Snyder);
– Right-hander Joe Martinez and first baseman Travis Ishikawa are the only rookies on the Opening Day roster;
– Jersey number changes: Bob Howry from 62 to 46; Ishikawa from 5 to 10; Martinez from 64 to 53; Medders from 49 to 52; pitching coach Dave Righetti from 46 to 32; Jonathan Sanchez from 53 to 57; and Juan Uribe from 23 to 5.