Giants eyeing Torrealba
SAN FRANCISCO — Preparing for the possibility that they won’t re-sign Bengie Molina, the Giants have contacted the representative for Yorvit Torrealba, another free-agent catcher.
Giants general manager Brian Sabean said last Monday that the Giants wouldn’t offer Molina, their regular catcher for the previous three seasons, more than a one-year contract, given 22-year-old Buster Posey’s impending readiness for the Major Leagues. Sabean also reiterated his belief that at least one other team will offer Molina the multiyear contract he seeks.
Conceivably, if the Giants signed Torrealba, their backup catcher from 2001-05, he would handle the bulk of the playing time until Posey developed sufficiently.
Melvin Roman, Torrealba’s agent, confirmed the Giants’ interest. “They called and asked about him,” Roman said Monday. “But as of right now I have no other comment.”
Torrealba rejected a two-year, $4.5 million offer from Colorado earlier this offseason. The Rockies also declined to pick up a $4 million option on his 2010 contract, which made him a free agent. Torrealba is a “Type B” free agent, so though the Rockies would receive a “sandwich” draft pick if another team signed him, the signing team wouldn’t lose one of its selections.
– Chris Haft